Kenya, the most developing country of Eastern Africa, bewitches any first-time traveler with her treasured assets, the wildlife. The country, once a British colony started wildlife conservation after 1950 that marks the decolonization effects. Well, several hotels sprang up around the much-organized game parks, which allows travelers to get a feel of the real Africa. Imagine, you having a cup of tea watching the wild beauties gather around the water hole quenching their thirst. Here we have listed some of the top 10 restaurants and hotels in Kenya that are worth staying:
- Treetop hotel: Situated near the Aberdare National Park is the renowned Treetop hotel, which is one of the oldest of its kind situated in Kenya. This is a 36-roomed hotel resting on a wooden structure and supported by pillars. The hotel, apart from being the much-fanaticized treehouse built in the wild, proudly boasts of the moment when Queen Elizabeth visited here during 1969, along with her husband Prince Philip. The Queen stepped here as the Princess and stepped out as the Queen as she received the news of the death of her father, King George VI. The walls of the hotel reflect the testimony of the several who’s visiting here. The best part apart from the rich history that might attract you is the lavish deck, wooden-floored from where you can observe the wild species coming to have a taste of water. Available here are many species including buffalo, elephant, warthog, wild dogs, rhino black, bushbucks, serval cat, Columbus monkey, olive baboons and many more. There is a buzzer attached to each room that would notify you whenever any wild animal comes near the water hole. All the rooms are decked up in Victorian-era get-up and are facing the water hole. The mesmerizing sunrise and sunset from this hotel deck is nothing lesser than a photographer’s delight.
- Giraffe Manor: Giraffe Manor can be defined as a boutique hotel situated near Nairobi, having a collection of one of the cutest herbivores of Africa, the giraffe. Yes, you may consider this as one of the most photographed properties of Kenya. Sprawling over a land of 140 acres, within the indigenous forest of Langata, lies the Giraffe Manor hotel, established in 1930. The rooms, not very high in number bears the perfect rustic décor and reminds you of the famous mention of Karen Blixen, the author. The Historic Manor house is characterized by a stately façade, verdant gardens, sunny terraces and delightful courtyards. The most fascinating experience is when you enjoy breakfast along with the giraffes sharing a plate with you, introducing their long necks across the wide windows. Feed then some grass while you enjoy your continental meal. Giraffe Manor offers great privacy to the guests, and are not meant for those casual day visitors. The Rothschild giraffe, an endangered species are cared and conserved here which enjoys being pampered by you. Stay, dine here and feel the pulse similar to a filming sequence. After all, hospitality along with an opportunity being close to wild animals is a rare combination, agree?
- The Ark hotel: The Ark hotel situated near the Aberdare National Park can be described as an abode to heaven having four viewing areas. You can stay at the ground level hide which is perfect for a discerning photographer. You will enjoy the ambiance, the lavishly structured rooms having glass walls, the viewing deck and most importantly a property amidst the lap of nature. There is a buzzer present at each room that notifies you whenever any animal comes near the water hole. This is the perfect place to enjoy the nightlife in the wild. Spend your valuable time at the library, the bar or at the viewing deck, you will feel like being out of the world. Visitors coming from metropolitan cities find this hotel nothing lesser than peaceful heaven. When you are bored watching the wild beauties, visit the Aberdare Country club where you can enjoy facilities like horse riding, golf, polo and many more interesting activities. The Ark hotel is nothing lesser than a quirky waterhole, described as a host of awesome wildlife modeled after the Noah’s Ark. Thereby, the name justifies.
- OutSpan Hotel: The Outspan Hotel at Nyeri is situated at the coffee and tea growing regions of Kenya, at close proximity of the spectacular Karuru falls. This is an ideal gateway where the peacocks roam around over the verdant green lawns. It’s said that Major Eric Sherbrooke Walker and his love Bettie build their home at a perfect point in between the Mount Kenya and Aberdare mountains. It started in 1928 with ten rooms and was named ‘Outspan’ hotel. Today this hotel is a combination of 45 rooms over a 20-acre splendid garden. You can enjoy facilities like conference hall, Paxtu museum, experience game drives and nature walks. Renowned naturalist and writer Jim Corbett, spend a part of his life here in the hotel and observed the various flora and fauna of Kenya. Stay here for special holidays like Christmas, New Year or Mashuja Day, you will feel a special Kenyan essence.
- Amboseli Sopa Lodge: The is one of the best restaurants in Kenya which is situated by the edge of The Amboseli National Park, and almost 250 km from Nairobi. The hotel can be accessed from Nairobi by a 4-hour drive. The hotel has 83 rooms and includes 1 honeymoon suite. There are interconnecting rooms and wheelchair facilities. The hotel is situated over 200 acres of private land nestling at the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro. You may observe the snow-capped mountain; enjoy the majestic views of the rooftop of Africa. This region of Africa was inspired by Ernest Hemmingway’s stories, ‘The snows of Kilimanjaro’ and many more. You will see all types of wilderness of the Amboseli National Park. The park shelters over six hundred species of birds, and a plethora of elephants. During the morning and evening hours, you would enjoy the march by the herd of elephants.
- Voi wildlife lodge: Voi wildlife lodge is one of the most luxury hotels in Kenya nestled in the heart of the elephant country, within the Savannah grasslands to the East of Tsavo and just km from the main highway that connects Nairobi to Mombasa. The rooms are enough to accommodate up to 300 guests and have spacious en-suite bathrooms. You will be awe spired to find the rooms decked up with African décor comprising two poster beds. You will enjoy the views of Savannah grasslands, and enjoy the view from the balcony or terrace. There are a number of activities that you might cherish here like- badminton court, table tennis, Jacuzzi, pool table, swimming pool and so on. The best part you would enjoy is the ecofriendly atmosphere of this one of the top hotels in Kenya. During the evening they switch off the lights and instead light the lodge with a torch that gives you a feeling of surviving amongst the wild like a Masai. During a moonlit night, you would enjoy the ambiance especially having the torches lit instead of electricity.
- Lake Naivasha Country Club: The Lake Naivasha Country Club dates back to 1930, which allows a view of Lake Naivasha from the top of the escarpment of the Great Rift Valley. Naivasha situated at a 1-hour drive from Nairobi is regarded as the gem of the necklace of the lakes around Rift Valley. The property is situated over 55-acre land having varying accommodations for the guests. The property received awards for being the best eco-tourism resort and luxury hotels in Kenya. There are many things to do in the Lake Naivasha Country club-like game viewing, exploring the lake, visiting the flower farms, Crescent Island, Hell’s Gate National Park, Mount Longonot National Parka and the Lake Elementaita. There is an abundance of activities that can please all tastes thereby making it one of the top 10 hotels in Kenya to visit.
- Elsamere Lodge: Elsamere was once a holiday home and then remained as a retirement home for the Adamson couple. Elsamere is a cottage beside the shores of Lake Naivasha, having 10 double rooms, all facing the lake. The cottages are named after Joy Adamson’s pets like- Elsa, Penny, Pippa and Pati. If you have seen the movie Born Free, you would be rekindling the memories largely. While you will enjoy your stay here, enjoy the lake view from the crazy rooms, and wake up to the chirping of sound. The meals are awesome and guests will have a feel of home away from home. All you would be cherishing is the greeting ‘Asante Sana’ from the friendly staff.
- Norfolk Hotel: The beloved landmark dates back to 1904, as Fairmont the Norfolk plays a pivotal role in Kenyan history. The city of Nairobi grew surrounding the hotel, which has remained as a legacy as some famous men visited this hotel spending charming moments. The hotel is a 27 luxurious suite having 143 rooms that are situated around the tranquil tropical garden and other amenities. You will enjoy the outdoor swimming pool, health club, and fitness center and spa facilities. The rooms offer a breath-taking view of the landscaped courtyard. The ambiance offers a conglomeration of luxury and some intertwined rich history of the growing city.
- Stanley Hotel: The Sarova Stanley was one of the few five-star rated hotels in Kenya having its presence from 1902. The prestigious hotel graced many prominent leaders, renowned authors, and also celebrities. You will find a historical charm here along with world-class cuisines, giving you an eclectic mix of dining and entertainment options. The Exchange bar here is elegantly decadent with a plush lounge bar. The venue has been the home to Nairobi Stock Exchange since its inception, for at least fifty years.
Some hotels in Kenya were amongst the first developed and stands amidst the A-listers while tourists plan Kenyan holidays are discussed here. The above mentioned list of best restaurant in Kenya will definitely make your travel to Kenya comfortable.
About Author: Sweta Chakraborty